Patrick Moulton, founder of Taystr, invested several months into developing an app for finding the best dishes around.
While staying in Indonesia, Patrick took his time to find the best design and dev team to accomplish an effective product. The team was organized, delivered in time for sprints, and managed to create good quality designs and a functional app.
Yet, five months after having spent time and money to launch Taystr, only he and his girlfriend were using it.
Why isn't anyone using
the app if it works?
How come it’s hard to find a dish?
How come the team didn’t anticipate these problems?
When we heard his story, we suggested our Product Discovery process. We emphasized that he’d get to test the ideas before taking on any major work in design or development.
For clients who’ve been through a bad experience, knowing that there is a better way to manage the risks of building an app is a relief. However, there are always doubts regarding the quality of the result.
Trying to find the exact dish you want is HARD. There are a ton of options out there: Uber Eats, Rappi, Grubhub, and more. Yet, none of them focus on dishes. Patrick explained that this was his biggest frustration while living as an ex-pat and digital nomad and why he originally built the app.
People are using more than one app at a time to find something to eat
The premise sounded simple: you can find reviewed dishes on the platform. The app allows you to find restaurants, dish specifications such as ingredients and ratings, and also review the dish yourself once you’ve eaten it.
Despite having a focused goal, the app hadn't gained traction. Patrick felt there were two breaking points in his app: when searching for something to eat, and when reviewing an experience.
Taystr's sweet spot has everything that all the other apps fail to accomplish.
In our Kickoff meeting, Patrick demo-ed the current app for us. He explained the process that led him to build the app the way he did and where he thought it failed. When we were listening, our goal was to find:
What the core problem was
How people solved it NOWADAYS (without the app)
This step might be one of the -if not the most- crucial in our process. Empathetic problem solving is at the core of every successful product. To have success, we need to understand the problems users face. There is no other path.
To find a way to measure the effectiveness of any solution for Taystr's core problem, we created a Product Funnel. We translated the User Journey steps into measurable actions users take when searching for, selecting, and rating a dish.
After refining the funnel: we determined the actions that marked the start and end of the funnel, which gave us our Success Metric.
We asked ourselves: is dish creation really the most important screen for most users of the app? Is that where all our energy needs to be for this app to work?
Having the prototype ready, we did a round of practice interviews with the team and then with Patrick to teach him how to do the interviews. Patrick invited his partner to participate in a UX Test, and we rehearsed the interview with them so he could see the script in action.
We interviewed Patrick's partner, showing the results feature by feature, reflecting whether each decision we made was successful or not.
Each element of the app is directly related to a question, and each question relates to an assumption about a user’s need. There are even some questions that the prototype didn't have an answer for, but we asked them anyways to validate if we were on the right track.
After conducting 12 interviews, about 70% of the questions didn’t reach success. However, the first three major steps of our product funnel were clear wins, and everyone could get through the prototype. Those first three steps were the basis of the Universal Menu as a strategy, the most innovative and riskiest part of our proposal.
We were able to innovate, deliberate, and validate the app in just under three weeks.